Thales UK reduces risk and speeds time-to-benefit for virtual desktop strategy with blended services solution.
Thales provides equipment, systems and services that help its customers to master the critical decision chain. This understanding underpins the company’s innovation and technological developments and its expertise in secure network, communications safeguards as many as 3.7 billion Bankers Automated Clearing Service transactions, worth about £1 trillion annually.
Thales recognizes that the intelligent use of technology is a competitive advantage, and a critical element in business success. The Group’s UK business had been considering desktop virtualization to simplify IT services delivery and improve productivity. An ideal opportunity presented itself when Thales UK was forced to relocate 280 staff to new premises.
“Given the project’s high-profile nature, we simply couldn’t afford for anything to go wrong,” says Steve Gathercole, project manager for Thales UK.
In search of a solution, the company turned to Cisco, its trusted partner and longstanding network provider.
The VDI services provided to Thales included a preparatory VDI-ready infrastructure assessment, planning and design and end-user training. Cisco Services and GlassHouse Technologies also helped to put in place a governance structure to help ensure timely decision-making and assist with project management.
“The VDI project was a big success. It was a great overall team effort and owes much to the contribution from Cisco Services and Glass House Technologies. They really helped get us there faster by avoiding potential problems and delays”
Steve Gathercole, Project Manager, Thales UK
Following a successful proof-of-concept trial and a series of technical workshops, Thales UK implemented two separate physical VDI domains (to IL3 and IL4 security standards) based on different user profiles and data security levels.
Results Thales UK completed its office relocation on time and budget with no business disruption or impact to productivity and is already enjoying many virtual desktop advantages. Anytime, anywhere access to core applications, such as email and computeraided design tools, helps speed time-tomarket by improving collaboration and shortening R&D cycles, whilst streamlined business processes and a simpler, lowercost IT management model that has cut time-to-provision from days to hours.
- Develop virtual desktop strategy, enabling relocation of 280 staff while optimizing productivity and IT services delivery
- Address project complexity, aggressive timescales and lack of internal virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) expertise
- Multivendor VDI solution comprising Cisco Nexus 5000 and 1000V Series Switches, HP servers and WYSE terminals
- VDI services from Cisco Services and GlassHouse Technologies for planning, design, installation and knowledge transfer
- Project delivered on time and on budget with zero business disruption
- Streamlined business processes and simpler, lower cost IT model
- Faster time-to-provision — from days to hours